Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) or Two Factor Authentication requires a user to verify their identity in two unique ways before a user is granted access to the system.
Enabling the MFA feature extends the sign-in process by adding a step to the authentication process, having the user enter a one-time token delivered to the user's cell phone.
Benefits of MFA
- Enhanced security.
- Protects against phishing attacks.
- Prevents logins from attackers exploiting stolen or weak credentials.
- Peace of mind that merchant/partner accounts cannot be compromised by using just their password alone.
Enabling Multi-Factor Authentication
The following steps outline the first-time MFA process.
- To enable/disable MFA, navigate to the Settings tab on the side navigation bar, and click Enable Multi-Factor Authentication.
- Once the Enable Multi-Factor Authentication button is clicked, the user will be automatically logged out and prompted to log back into the system to start the MFA process.
- After clicking the Enable button, the user will be prompted to sign into their Stax account.
- Once logged in, the user will be prompted to enter their cell phone number.
- After the phone number is entered, a 6-digit code will be sent by text. Once received, the user will enter the code on the site and be redirected to the dashboard. NOTE: The first time the user enables MFA, and after the user enters the 6-digit code, the user will receive a 24-digit recovery code. The recovery code will be used if a user needs to log into their account without their cell phone.
- Clicking next will take the user back to the dashboard. Multi-Factor Authentication has now been enabled.
Users will automatically be prompted to enter the 6-digit verification code when they log back into the platform. Upon successful completion, the user will be directed to the dashboard. Note that if the user selects Remember this browser, they will no longer be prompted for the 6-digit verification code each time.
If the user cannot access their cell phone to obtain the 6-digit code, they will click on “Use the recovery code” and enter the 24-digit unique recovery code provided during MFA enrollment.
If the user does not have access to the unique code, please get in touch with a member of the Customer Support team to have MFA reset. Additional verification will be required.
Multi-Factor Authentication for Sub-Merchants
Please contact your Partner Success Manager to request MFA for your customers.
To review the steps for individual merchants who want to enable MFA for themselves or members of their organization, visit the Stax Pay enablement document.